header graphic

Commissioners Office
John H. Mulroy Civic Center
421 Montgomery St.
Syracuse NY, 13202

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) - Is a federally funded program whose purpose is to reduce hunger and malnutrition among the members of low-income households. Whether or not you are eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance benefits is based on your household size, income, assets, and several other factors. All of these factors are also used to figure out how much in benefits you will receive. Please understand you may not be eligible for benefits at all depending on those factors listed above, if you do qualify you will be notified 30 days from the application date.

The goal of the program is to provide a higher level of nutrition to income eligible individuals and families by enhancing their ability to purchase healthy food. For more informationabout the SNAP program including retailers and farmer's markets where you can use your benefits click on the following link:  SNAP Retailers

John H. Mulroy Civic Center, 2nd Floor
421 Montgomery Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Monday-Friday)
Phone: (315) 435-2700

Who Is Eligible?

Eligibility for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance benefits is based on a number of factors established by the federal government. These include both earned and unearned income, resources like bank accounts, investments, cash, and in certain circumstances, cars and properties that are available to the household. However, some types of income and some types of resources are not counted when determining eligibility. The only way to really know if you are eligible is to file an application.

Regulations require certain household members to apply together. That includes spouses who live together, children under 22 living with their parent(s) and minors less than 18 living with an adult who provides parental control. Also, non-related members of a household who buy and prepare the majority of their meals together must all apply together.

If your household has little or no money and needs help right away, you may qualify for “expedited” Supplemental Nutrition Assistance benefits. If you do, you will receive your initial Supplemental Nutrition Assistance benefit within five days. However, you will still have to complete the regular eligibility process and supply all the required documentation at a later date.

Resource Limits

Effective 1/1/2008 there is NO resource limit for individuals below 200% poverty unless a member of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance household is sanctioned or disqualified.

How to Apply

Online: You can file an application online at www.mybenefits.ny.gov. The completed online Supplemental Nutrition Assistance application will be sent to the agency and you will be screened for expedited Supplemental Nutrition Assistance within five days and have a scheduled phone interview to determine eligibility.

By telephone: You can request an application by calling our office at (315) 435-2700. We will mail you an application and you can either return it by mail or drop it off in-person. You will need to be interviewed and the interview can be done by telephone or in-person whichever you prefer.

In-person: You can come into our office at 2nd floor Civic Center, TA/SNAP Intake 421 Montgomery Street and we will give you an application. You can submit it that day as long as you have filled in your name, address, telephone number (if you have one) and signed the application. We will give you an appointment for a future interview which can be done by telephone or in-person.

You are responsible to complete your application completely and truthfully. At application, periodic report and recertification you must report ALL employment income and any unearned income such as Disability benefits, Child Support, unemployment benefits and lottery winnings. If your household currently has no income and you receive a change in income you must report the changes within 10 days after the end of the month in which the change happened.  The information and proof that you provide when applying for or while receiving SNAP must be correct, complete and accurate.  If you intentionally provide false, incomplete or inaccurate information or proof, you could be disqualified from the program and possibly subject to criminal prosecution. If you are eligible for and receive SNAP benefits, you can only use them to purchase food for your household.  You cannot exchange them for cash, drugs, alcohol, tobacco products or firearms or you could be disqualified from the program.

Email Us Your Documents:

If you would like to email us documents, please read these instructions and send your documents to one of the email addresses below;


What to Expect

If you do qualify, you will receive your Supplemental Nutrition Assistance benefits no later than 30 days from the date the office got your application. Your Supplemental Nutrition Assistance benefits will be issued electronically at a participating grocery store. Click here to link to EBT page






     (Click on any of the blue links to go directly to that website)

USDA One of the very best websites out there to help your family eat better for less,is choosemyplate.gov

Visit Eat Smart NY at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Onondaga County at Extend Onondaga Website

for a list of local classes and workshops, recipes, fact sheets and more tips to Eat Healthier for Less. SNAP-Education is free to all households in receipt of SNAP benefits.

Eat Better for Less Video

                                         English                           Spanish


For additional information on the NYS Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), call or visit the web at:

SNAP - Good and Cheap Cookbook
Food Bank Fresh Food Schedule
Food Bank Food Sense


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Forms Available Online
Landlord Form


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

© 2001- 2016 Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance