header graphic

Commissioners Office
John H. Mulroy Civic Center
421 Montgomery St.
Syracuse NY, 13202
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Onondaga County Office Building
Energy Assistance Unit - 7th Floor
600 S. State Street
Syracuse, NY 13202

Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Phone: (315) 435-8295

Primary FAX: (315) 435-8544

Secondary FAX: (315) 435-2735


The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), also known as LIHEAP, is a federally funded energy assistance program to help low-income families meet their home energy costs. The HEAP program consists of three components – Regular HEAP, Emergency HEAP and Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement.

Who Is Eligible?
Eligibility for the program is based on income (see income guidelines below) and housing situation. Individuals must either pay directly for heating costs or pay rent that includes heating costs. Individuals must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien to apply. HEAP money is limited. The HEAP year generally begins in November and closes when the program funding is exhausted, which can be as early as mid-March.


Regular HEAP
There are no resource eligibility criteria for Regular HEAP. Regular benefit amounts range from $20 to $500. Amounts depend on income, age of household members, energy costs and shelter situation. Typically it is a one-time only benefit during the program year.

Emergency HEAP
Emergency benefits are available for persons who are eligible for HEAP and have an energy-related emergency such as a power shutoff, less than ¼ tank oil, kerosene or propane or have less than 10 days’ supply of wood, pellets or coal. Applicant households must meet a resource test. Benefit amounts vary. Typically it is a one-time only benefit during the program year.

If you have already exhausted your regular HEAP benefit you may call the office at 435-8295 to apply for Emergency HEAP by phone.

Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement (HERR):
HERR benefits are available to help low income homeowners repair or replace furnaces, boilers, and other direct heating components necessary to keep the home's primary heating source functional. Homeowners must reside in the home. All applicants receive a standard resource exclusion of $3000.


How to Apply
Temporary Assistance and SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps)households generally receive their Regular HEAP grant automatically through their case. Payments to households that pay for heat separate from their rent are sent to the heating vendor. Payments to households that have their heat included in their rent are paid directly to the household. To apply for Emergency HEAP, Temporary Assistance and SNAP recipients must contact the call center at 435-2700. See Emergency HEAP above.

Where to Apply
Individuals under 60 may apply in person on the 7th floor County Office Building between the hours of 8:00 - 4:30, Monday – Friday.

Individuals that have received a benefit last season and do not have an emergency have mail-in rights and may call the office to have an application mailed.

Individuals who do not have an emergency and do not have mail-in rights may be interviewed by phone. Please call 435-8295 for more information.

If an individual cannot apply in person due to a handicap or because of his or her work schedule, a friend or relative may apply for them. The authorized representative must bring all necessary documents as well as a note from the individual they are applying for.

Individuals 60 or over, disabled or in receipt of Code A SSI that
do not have an emergency may contact the Office of Aging at (315) 435-2362 to apply by mail. All emergencies must apply in person. You must bring in your utility bill, proof of emergency, verification of tenant of record, proof of gross income for everyone in the household, ID for all household members and current resource documentation.

What to Expect
If you qualify your HEAP payment will be sent to your fuel/utility provider. It generally takes up to 3 months for the credit to appear on your bill.


Email Us Your Documents:

If you would like to email us documents, please read these instructions and send your documents to the email address below;

After Hour Emergency
For after hour heating emergencies please call 211CNY (formerly Helpline) by dialing 211 or 1-844-245-1922.

Non-relative Care Givers Information

Helpful websites

© 2001- 2016 Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance