header graphic

Online Payments
Pay for Day Care, HEAP, Medicaid, Snap/Food Stamps, or Temporary Assistance

Commissioners Office
John H. Mulroy Civic Center
421 Montgomery St.
Syracuse NY, 13202

Temporary Assistance - Expectations

TA home | Who is Eligible | What to Expect | Programs


What to Expect

Eligibility decisions depend on how quickly you complete your application requirements and which programs you are applying for. Decisions can take from immediately for some emergencies to 45 days for safety net assistance.

After you fill out an application and turn it in:


  • You will talk to an eligibility worker individually
  • You may be given a follow-up appointment with a worker from our office. At this time, a number of questions may be asked of you, depending on your particular circumstances.

Some general things you might expect are:


  • If you are a single parent, you may be required to have an interview witht he Support Collection Unit. If, however, you or your child has been threatened or abused or you fear for the life of you or your child, you do not have to cooperate with the Support Collection Unit. However, you must be able to prove your claim.
  • If you tell the worker you have an alcohol of substance abuse problem, or the worker suspects that you might, you may be asked to see a substance abuse counselor. He/She will be able to help you get the treatment you need.
  • You will have the opportunity to complete a Domestic Violence Screening form & if you tell your caseworker that you are a victim of domestic violence, he/she will give you the opportunity to talk with a domestic violence counselor. You will also be provided with important information about obtaining Domestic Violences Services.
  • You will be asked to have your picture and fingerprints taken. This is required for Temporary Assistance by New York State law to avoid duplicate benefit payments.


When you are determined eligible:


  • Benefits may be issued as cash or in voucher form to your landlord or utility provider.
  • Your cash benefits will be available at ATM machines in grocery stores.
  • In order to access cash benefits, you will need a benefit card and a PIN number.
  • Benefits over $25.00 are issued semi-monthly.
  • Voucher payments are sent directly to your landlord or provider. Click here to link to >> EBT Page


To Provide Feedback About the Disability Accessibility of An Onondaga County Department's Website, Click Here to Access the Department's Contact Page

© 2001- 2019 Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance