National Incident Management System
While most emergency situations are handled locally, when there’s a major incident help may be needed from other jurisdictions, the state and the federal government.
The National Incident Management System (NIMS) was developed so responders from different jurisdictions and disciplines can work together better to respond to natural disasters and emergencies.
NIMS benefits include:
• A unified approach to incident management
• Standard command and management structures [Incident
Command System – ICS]
• Emphasis on preparedness, mutual aid and resource management
The National Response Framework [NRF]
• Establishes a comprehensive all-hazards approach to
enhance the ability of the United States to manage
• Forms the basis of how federal departments and agencies
will work together and how the federal government will
coordinate with state, local, and tribal governments and the
private sector during incidents.
• NIMS is mandated for use within the NRF
Click Here to download a copy of the Onondaga County resolution
Emergency Management Institute Online Courses - NIMS Compliance
IS-100 Basic Incident Command System
IS-700 National Incident Management System – An Introduction
IS-800 (National Response Framework)