|[View Job Specification]||[View Printable Version]|
|LIBRARIAN ASSISTANT - TEEN SERVICES|
|Date Published: 02/17/2017|
|Open Competitive Examination #: None||Promotional Examination #: None|
|Application Deadline: 03/01/2017||Application Filing Fee (Non-Refundable): $0.00|
Onondaga County Public Library is seeking a qualified part-time Librarian Assistant to work at the Petit Branch Library 17 hours per week. The successful candidate will actively engage with teens, providing programs and services that help them grow into lifelong learners, prepare them for college and careers and build the knowledge and skills they need to be productive in the 21st century.
Petit Branch Library, one of eight branches in the city of Syracuse, is located in the heart of the Westcott neighborhood and serves a diverse and dynamic community. This position will work in collaboration with city staff, area schools and community groups to build Petit’s teen patron base.
Specialized area of responsibility:
• Develop and provide programming, both passive and formal, that engages teens
• Develop and provide opportunities for teens to contribute to their community
• Oversee the Teen Summer Learning Program and provide related programming
• Create opportunities for teen input on library services
• Provide outreach to neighboring schools
• Represent OCPL and Petit Branch at community events, such as school fairs, Farmer’s Market
General duties will include:
• Provide direct public service, including computer and technology assistance
• Participate in Petit’s social media outlets
• Serve as back-up for story times and other children’s programming
• Enter events and programs in OCPL’s online calendar
• Assist with collection development through purchase suggestions and weeding
• Assist with adult programming and art exhibits
• Perform other duties as needed
Required and/or preferred knowledge, skills and experience:
• Knowledge of teen literature and teen pop culture
• Excellent customer service skills; ability to work with a diverse population
• Creativity and ability to think outside the box
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated social media proficiency
• Proficiency with Windows Operating System, web searching, standard MS Office Applications and downloadable devices
$24.43 per hour
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
1-3 years of relevant experience preferred
Strong technology background
Must be available to work up to 17 hours per week, including every other Saturday and some Monday and Thursday evenings.
To Apply: Send resume and letter of interest by March 1, 2017 attention to Janet Park at JPark@onlib.org.
Or mail to: Onondaga County Public Library, 447 S. Salina St., Syracuse, NY 13202, Attn. Janet Park.
Petit Branch Library is located at 105 Victoria Place, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone 315-435-3636 Fax 315-435-2731 www.onlib.org Susan Mitchell, Executive Director
Onondaga County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer