|[View Job Specification]||[View Printable Version]|
|WATER MAINTENANCE WORKER I|
|Date Published: 08/17/2017|
|Open Competitive Examination #: None||Promotional Examination #: None|
|Application Deadline: 09/15/2017||Application Filing Fee (Non-Refundable): $0.00|
The Onondaga County Water Authority is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Water Maintenance Worker I
Salary: $42,800 ($20.60/hr.)
The Onondaga County Water Authority is seeking Water Maintenance Worker I’s, civil service position # 60630. There are openings for both day (7:00am – 3:30pm, M-F) and night shift (10:30pm-7:00am Sunday - Friday). If you have a shift preference, please indicate on your application.
The work involves responsibility for performing semi-skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains and services. The Water Maintenance Worker I typically functions as a team member under the general supervision of a crew leader; and may also work independently on small tasks as needed.
When required to operate motor vehicles, employees must possess a valid non-CDL or CDL with appropriate endorsements as required by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles for the class of vehicle(s) being operated.
Typical Work Activities:
- Acts as a team member, may be involved in breaking of pavement by use of a pneumatic drill
-Assists in excavating by using shovels and picks to remove dirt; shores up excavations; directs the crane operator in lowering of mains; connects pipes through use of welding equipment, and tightens bolts connecting sections.
- Assists in the setting up and connection of meter pits and hydrants
- Locates and repairs curb boxes
- Flushes hydrants to clean lines
- Repairs leaking valves; replaces broken valves; removes old valve, and installs new valves
- Installs fire lines; assembles fittings
- Operates tapping equipment and installs tapping sleeves
- Makes service taps and installs new service lines
- During winter months may thaw out service and hydrants
- May check pumps and perform minor servicing and maintenance
- May install meters for new services
- May operate a motor vehicle, to and from work assignments
- May do preventative maintenance on equipment used in performance of job
- May occasionally read commercial and residential meters
- May perform tasks in the operation section requiring similar semi skilled maintenance
- May occasionally cut grass and shovel snow
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of the maintenance and service practices utilized in a water distribution system
- Working knowledge of tools and terminology as they relate to the operation of a water distribution system
- Skilled in the use of power tools
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Physical Condition commensurate with the demands of the position
The Onondaga County Water Authority is a civil service agency, hiring in accordance with New York State civil service regulations.
The minimum qualifications for the Water Maintenance Worker I position are outlined in the job specifications: http://www.ongov.net/employment/jobs/specs/sp60630.pdf
If you meet the minimum qualifications and are interested in applying for the position, please complete an online application at www.ocwa.org.
For questions, contact Darlene Pettersen, Human Resources Assistant, at 315-455-7061, ext. 3155.
OCWA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, arrest record, genetic predisposition, marital status, military or veteran status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
"Onondaga County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer"