Mental health means living a meaningful and productive life - having a life worth living - as defined by an individual's interests, goals, hopes and dreams. The Department advances the mental health of County residents by monitoring and continuously improving the system of behavioral healthcare services in Onondaga County.
These prevention, treatment and rehabilitation services lessen the personal and community impact of mental illness, chemical dependency and developmental disorders on children, adolescents and adults.
In fulfilling its mission, the Department:
- Stimulates and supports coordination and cooperation between service recipients, families, service providers, City, County, State and Federal authorities;
- Sponsors & promotes education and training to advance the use of state of the art, evidence based practices;
- Assesses and plans for the behavioral healthcare needs of County residents;
- Develops appropriate service capacity and access to services through selected funding of behavioral healthcare services and oversees program performance and outcomes;
- Promotes public understanding of behavioral health disabilities to reduce stigma and promote meaningful and productive community involvement for those with these disabilities.
The Department knows that:
- People with mental illness, chemical dependency or developmental disorders can lead meaningful, productive lives;
- There are effective, science based treatment and service delivery strategies that promote recovery; and
- Quality pays - the continuous improvement of services decreases suffering and the economic costs of these disorders.
This website is designed to promote public understanding of behavioral healthcare and to provide access to information and resources related to the current activities of the Department and our partners in delivering quality behavioral healthcare services. We sincerely hope that you find it valuable.