Ordering Birth Certificates By Mail
Note: Only the individuals listed on the original birth certificate (mother, father or child) are authorized to request and receive certified copies of a birth certificate. The person (applicant) making the request must be one of the above.
1. Print a request form.
2. Complete and sign the form. Please be sure you list your name at birth and your mother’s maiden name – not her married name. Incomplete applications may cause a delay in processing.
3. Include a check or money order payable to the Office of Vital Statistics, or a signed credit card form. The fee is $30.00 for the first certified copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when ordered at the same time. If you pay by check, you must include your phone number on the check.
4. Include a signed copy of your identification. Examples of acceptable identification are:
- Photo driver license with signature
- Non-driver photo license with signature
- Passport with signature
- Military ID with signature
- Employer's photo ID with signature
- Photo social services card with signature
If the identification you are submitting has your information on the front and your signature on the back, you must send a copy of both sides. Please make sure the copy is readable. Enlarging and lightening the image of your identification on the copier may help.
5. Mail the request to: Office of Vital Statistics, 421 Montgomery Street, Room 20 Basement Civic Center, Syracuse, NY 13202. A certificate will only be issued after a completed request form, a copy of your identification, and payment are received.
Express Mail (2 to 3 day delivery) is available for an additional $20.00. Next business day delivery is available for an additional $25.00. All other orders will be sent by U.S. Mail, and will take approximately 7-10 business days to be processed.