Ordering Death Certificates By Mail
Note: Only the spouse, child, parent or sibling of the deceased is authorized to request and receive a death record*. If you are not a spouse, child or parent, and you have a legal need for the document, please refer to step 6 below.
*Please be prepared to provide proof of relationship with the deceased. Proof of relationship is either a birth certificate with parents' names on it or an obituary that lists the requestor as a surviving child or sibling. If the child is a minor, their parent or guardian is able to request a certificate on their behalf.
1. Print the online request form.
2. Complete and sign the form. Please be sure to complete the applicant and mailing address portions.
3. Include a check or money order payable to the Office of Vital Statistics, or a signed credit card form. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover. The fee is $30.00 for the first certified copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when ordered at the same time. If you pay by check, you must include your phone number on the check. If the name on the credit card is different than the name of the individual ordering the certificate, a copy of the ID of the cardholder will need to be included. The cardholder will need to sign the credit authorization form.
4. Include a signed copy of your identification. Examples of acceptable identification are:
- Photo driver license with signature
- Non-driver photo license with signature
- Passport with signature
- Military ID with signature
- Employer's photo ID with signature
- Photo social services card with signature
If the identification you are submitting has your information on the front and your signature on the back, you must send a copy of both sides. Please make sure the copy is readable. Enlarging and lightening the image of your identification on the copier may help.
5. Mail the request to: Office of Vital Statistics, 421 Montgomery Street, Room 20 Basement Civic Center, Syracuse, NY 13202. A certificate will only be issued after a completed request form, a copy of your identification, and payment are received.
6. If you are not the spouse, child or parent, or sibling of the deceased, but have a legal need for the death certificate, you must also submit a letter from the office or agency that needs the document. The letter must:
- Be on the company’s letterhead
- Be addressed to you
- Specifically state that a copy of the deceased’s death certificate is needed
- Be signed by a company representative
- Be mailed with a copy of your identification, request form and payment information
Express Mail (2 to 3 day delivery) is available for an additional $20.00. Next business day delivery is available for an additional $25.00. All other orders will be sent U.S. Mail. Regular mail requests will take approximately 7-10 business days to be processed.