Ordering Death Certificates Online
Access to a fax machine or a scanner is required to order online.
Note: Only the spouse, child, parent or sibling of the deceased is authorized to request and receive a death record*. If you are not a spouse, child or parent, and you have a legal need for the document, please refer to step 6 below.
*Please be prepared to provide proof of relationship with the deceased. Proof of relationship is either a birth certificate with parents' names on it or an obituary that lists the requestor as a surviving child or sibling. If the child is a minor, their parent or guardian is able to request a certificate on their behalf.
1. Complete the online request form (secure server). Please be sure to complete the applicant and mailing address portions.
2. The fee is $30.00 for the first certified copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when ordered at the same time. Payment may be made by credit card only (VISA or Master Card). The credit card and the identification must be in the applicant’s name. The online payment system may not accept a pre-paid credit card.
3. Once you have placed your order, a signature verification sheet will be e-mailed to you. Please sign and date the signature verification sheet and return it with a copy of your signed identification by following the instructions below.
4. Examples of acceptable forms of identification are:
- Photo driver license with signature
- Non-driver photo license with signature
- Passport with signature
- Military ID with signature
- Employer's photo ID with signature
- Photo social services card with signature
If the identification you are submitting has your information on the front and your signature on the back, you must send a copy of both sides. Please make sure the copy is readable. Enlarging and lightening the image of your identification on the copier may help.
5. Fax your completed signature verification sheet and signed identification to (315) 435-3614, or scan and e-mail the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. A certificate will only be issued after both documents are received.
6. If you are not the spouse, child, parent, or sibling of the deceased, but have a legal need for the death certificate, you must also submit a letter from the office or agency that needs the document. The letter must:
- Be on the company’s letterhead
- Be addressed to you
- Specifically state that a copy of the deceased’s death certificate is needed
- Be signed by a company representative
- Be faxed or e-mailed with the copy of your identification and signature verification sheet
Express Mail (2 to 3 day delivery) is available for an additional $20.00. Next business day delivery is available for an additional $25.00. All other orders will be sent by U.S. Mail, and will take approximately 7-10 business days to be processed.