Ordering Death Certificates In Person
Note: Only the spouse, child, parent or sibling of the deceased is authorized to request and receive a death record*. If you are not a spouse, child or parent, and you have a legal need for the document, please refer to step 4 below.
*Please be prepared to provide proof of relationship with the deceased. Proof of relationship is either a birth certificate with parents' names on it or an obituary that lists the requestor as a surviving child or sibling. If the child is a minor, their parent or guardian is able to request a certificate on their behalf.
Certificates are issued at the time of request if a signed form of identification and payment are presented with a completed request form.
Payment may be made by cash, check, money order or credit card (VISA, Mastercard, or Discover). The fee is $30.00 for the first certified copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when ordered at the same time.
1. Please print and fill out a request form and bring it with you, or complete the form at the Office of Vital Statistics.
2. You must present a signed form of identification at the time you place the order. Examples of acceptable forms of identification are:
- Photo driver license with signature
- Non-driver photo license with signature
- Passport with signature
- Military ID with signature
- Employer's photo ID with signature
- Photo social services card with signature
3. If paying by credit card, the name of the credit cardholder must match the applicant’s name and identification. If the name on the credit card is different than the name of the individual ordering the certificate, we will need to make a copy of the cardholder’s ID and the cardholder must be present to sign the receipt.
4. If you are not the spouse, child, parent, or sibling of the deceased, but have a legal need for the death certificate, you must also present a letter from the office or agency that needs the document. The letter must:
- Be on the company’s letterhead
- Be addressed to you
- Specifically state that a copy of the deceased’s death certificate is needed
- Be signed by a company representative