header graphic
Connect with Onondaga County Like Us On FacebookFollow Us On Twitter See Us On Youtube

Ground Water Disposal

Occasionally, WEP accepts treated ground water as a service to contractors. Permits are issued on a case-by-case basis.

 hazardous waste disposal container image

Hazardous waste sites

WEP does not accept ground water from hazardous waste sites. A certification that the site is not a listed hazardous waste site is required before WEP issues a permit.

Permit requirements

Detailed procedures on the general requirements for disposal of ground water are available from WEP. See links below. However, each permit is issued on a case-by-case basis.

Common permit requirements

  1. Application and fee of $200.
  3. Flow monitoring — Fees are based on the amount of water discharged, among other factors.
  5. Pretreatment — Ground water remediation activities typically require filtration to remove solids and carbon adsorption to remove organic constituents.

  6. Laboratory analyses — Samples may be required before treatment (as part of the application process) and during discharge to ensure compliance.

Application process

Water discharge image

There is no standard application form for a ground water discharge permit. Applications are generally submitted in letter format with the materials required for application as detailed in the WEP's "Procedures Governing the Acceptance and Treatment of Ground Water and Other Contaminated Wastewater."


Procedures Governing the Acceptance and Treatment of Ground Water and Other Contaminated Wastewater

Envelope Image For more information, please call, 315-435-2260.


To Provide Feedback About the Disability Accessibility of An Onondaga County Department's Website, Click Here to Access the Department's Contact Page

© 2001-  Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance