The Onondaga County Cancer Services Program offers free breast, colorectal, and cervical cancer screening and diagnostic services to uninsured residents of Onondaga County. The Cancer Services Program can provide breast cancer screenings for women over the age of 40, colorectal cancer screenings for men and women over the age of 50, and cervical cancer screenings for women over the age of 40. Screening services are provided at local doctors offices. Call 315.435.3653 today to see if you are eligible for a free breast, colorectal or cervical cancer screening.
Family Planning Service provides complete physical examinations, laboratory tests, pregnancy tests, birth control, counseling, and more. There is a sliding fee scale available and Family Planning Service can help pay for your care. Even if you are enrolled in a Medicaid managed care program, you can receive services at Family Planning clinics with no referral. If Medicaid covered you for your last pregnancy, you may be eligible for two additional years of Family Planning coverage even if you no longer have Medicaid. You may apply for the Family Planning Benefit Program to qualify for free services. Call 315.435.3295 for information about clinic schedules and appointments.
Did you know that you can now shop around for health insurance?
The “NY State of Health” is the new health insurance marketplace (exchange) for New Yorkers.
You can shop, compare, and enroll in a low-cost, quality health insurance plan. It is the only place you can receive financial assistance (based on income) to lower health care costs even more.
- You can check your eligibility and sign up for Medicaid or Child Health Plus.
- Individuals, families, and small businesses (with 50 or fewer employees) can compare commercial insurance options, calculate costs, and select coverage.
- Health insurance coverage can be purchased through the “NY State of Health” beginning October 1, 2013 and will be effective January 1, 2014.
- Starting in 2014, health insurance companies cannot discriminate by charging more or denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. This applies to insurance coverage purchased both through the marketplace and outside of the marketplace.
Starting October 1st, individuals called “Navigators” will be available to help you apply for health insurance. If you live in Onondaga County, call:
- ACR Health: 315.475.2430
- HealtheConnections: 315.470.1847
- Syracuse Northeast Community Center: 315.472.6343
To learn more about the “NY State of Health”:
- Visit nystateofhealth.ny.gov
- Call the Help Line toll free at 855.355.5777
Monday – Friday, 8 am - 8 pm
Saturday, 9 am - 1 pm
Pregnant? You may get insured now-
If you have had a pregnancy test at a doctor’s office, you can apply for “Presumptive Medicaid” by calling 315.420.7350.
If you have not yet had a pregnancy test at a doctor’s office, you may get tested and apply for “Presumptive Medicaid” by calling:
- Family Planning Service at 315.435.3295 (three sites; walk-in hours available)
- Planned Parenthood at 315.475.5540, ext. 216.