Who We Are
The Onondaga County Office for Aging is the federally designated Area Agency on Aging (AAA) for Syracuse
and Onondaga County. As such, we assist seniors and caregivers by providing the services
and benefits that
older adults need to live independently.
The Office for Aging
- Offers services both in the community and in the homes of seniors who live in Onondaga County
- Is a focal point for information related to healthy living and/or care in the home
- Helps seniors and their caregivers to get the services they need
- Provides services directly as well as through partnerships with local community-based organizations
The Mission of the Onondaga County Office for Aging is to improve and enrich the quality of life for all older persons in Onondaga County.
The Office for Aging exists to:
- Ensure that a comprehensive and coordinated system of services is available for senior citizens, their
families and caregivers
- Help families and individuals remain safe and productive members of our community
- Promote the dignity and independence of seniors
- Foster public awareness of the value and contribution of senior citizens
The Onondaga County Office for Aging is one of 59 Area Agencies on Aging in New York State and is
part of the national aging network. Our aim is to be a focal point for information, advocacy, and coordination
of eldercare services. Descriptions of (and links to) some of our services are located below, and in the menu across the top of this page. To learn more about a particular
service, simply click on any one of the links.
Caregiver Services - Provides respite programming, caregiver mediation, and support and discussion
groups. It also offers the free “Institute for Caregivers” – classes for current and future caregivers that
inform on relevant
topics. Additionally, living an active life with Parkinson’s disease is addressed through discussion
groups and a yearly conference.
Community Services - Provides information and referrals related to home repairs, legal services, senior center
activities, health promotion initiatives, transportation options, shopping services and employment. It also
includes the Neighborhood Advisor Program.
Energy Programs - The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) offers heating and cooling assistance to income eligible seniors.
Health Insurance - The Health Insurance Information, Counseling & Assistance Program (HIICAP) offers free and unbiased information.